Monday 19 November 2018

Gingerbread

The darker nights, mounds of tea lights and candles for sale everywhere heralds the arrival of all things gingerbread! It might actually herald Christmas really.

After several months devoid of pepparkakor (thin ginger biscuits), they are for sale everywhere. Which is great as we love them, especially with a cuppa - dunking is optional, but it must be a quick dunk or else they don't stay firm and will plop into your tea, which is not nice.

It's not just gingerbread cookies, but there are ginger crisp bread, ginger chewy sweets and even our beloved cinnamon buns now come in a gingerbread flavour!


It's about now that I start thinking about baking my own ginger based goodies. Jim bought me a lovely baking book all about gingerbread, so it will be fetched down off the bookcase and I will sit and pour over it wondering if this will be the year that I make my epic gingerbread house (without the help of structural supports); or hanging decorations without the dogs eating them (not a chance); or a beautifully sticky gingerbread cake with lemon icing from Nigella Lawson.

Right now though, the ginger goodies will have to wait, as for the first time the kids and I are making a Christmas Cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment