Friday 13 October 2017

Language Barriers



We were both concerned about the kids before we moved here, settling in at school and making friends despite the obvious language barriers.


We reasoned that as Maisie's age group would already be learning rudimentary English in school, it might be easier for her as there would be at least, a little common language.  In fact when she spent the morning with her class before starting, we were given an envelope containing letters from her new class mates all in English detailing a little bit about themselves (including her teacher!) - it was such a thoughtful thing to do, as well as helping the other kids with their English.
Maisie has 2 extra Swedish classes a week in school time, and learns English with the rest of the kids (I think when the teacher leaves, the other kids all ask Maisie for help, which is perfectly sensible!)  In fact her Swedish skills are the best in the family; her accent is really good and she's been correcting my pronunciation too.

With Ned, we thought that with him still being quite young and getting to grips with reading and writing as we were leaving the UK, he would be fine too.  He'd sort of pick it up as he went along.  And he is picking it up, but he doesn't always like it when we speak Swedish to him at home (mostly days of the week); I think he has lots to take in at school and Has Had Enough when we get home.  However I have noticed that when his teachers talk to him in Swedish he understands them, he answers them in English!🤦

Play dates are quite fun; Maisie and her friends don't worry about me not speaking much Swedish, they manage and if all else fails, there's always good old google translate!
Ned's though are a bit different, so usually there's a Swedish parent on hand for translation duties.  However for the most recent date, it was just me.  One of Maisie's friends, handily happens to have a brother who is friends with Ned, so they both came to play (their mum did ask me if I really wanted have both of them, but in for a penny in for a pound!)
It was an informative afternoon; I learnt a new word - Sluta!  Which apparently when shouted at small boys, means Stop it! We all survived my lack of Swedish; the 2 girls can communicate well enough and with the boys, I think the tone of voice used got more results than the language I spoke!

Maisie despairs of me a little bit.  There is proper eye rolling when I say something wrong.  I have trouble saying the word seven; sju.  Apparently it's pronounced whoo (it's difficult to write phonetically, but you sort of say the w sound), not hoo and as for 77 - sjuttiosju it's not hootie hoo, but whootay who.  And it's not kanske (maybe), but kaawhoo.

Honestly I'm sure I sound like the Swedish Chef!













No comments:

Post a Comment