Wednesday 27 September 2017

Winter Is Coming

At the risk of sounding like a Game of Thrones character, winter is coming to Skåne.  My suspicions were confirmed when the Helsingborg Stads Facebook page posted an article on how to empty your swimming pool correctly for the approaching change in season!

For me it started a couple of weeks or so ago. I was up at 6.30am to let the dogs out; the sun's heat was a little bit weaker as it peeped over the neighbourhood houses, the breeze picked up and I shivered just a little bit.  It made me think of late September days in Devon, where it might be a little chilly in the morning, but you know the day is going to end being gloriously warm.  Indeed, it got much warmer, and we ended our day with a pre dinner dip in the sea.

However the water temperature has got noticeably cooler now; long gone are the heady days of 19 degrees, the water is about 11 degrees, although the thermometer is showing 32c - I have a feeling it might be broken......., and I no longer take part in the family evening dips, it's far too cold, but Jim and Maisie are still, bravely, going as often as possible whilst Ned and I watch from the side cackling with laughter and little sympathy! Dry Robes for Christmas I think.

I was once nicknamed 'Single Vein' by one of Jim's uni mates due to my tendency to feel the cold, and perpetual cold hands, I am often wrapped up in layers, hat, scarf and gloves.  So it has come as a bit of a surprise that I am still hatless (mostly), gloveless and still have my jeans rolled up!

Tanned ankles!

We're still trying to work out the seasons here.  It sort of feels like the UK, but not quite.  Spring and summer are a bit later and shorter, so I'm guessing that autumn and winter will be earlier and longer! We're not quite in sync with it all yet either. It still feels warm enough to not wear a coat, but during the school run one morning, in jeans (still rolled up!) and a jumper, I noticed that, whilst my kids are not wearing coats, a lot of the other kids seem to be wearing their autumnal wardrobes - thicker coats, hats and one girl was wearing earmuffs..... indeed Ned is still wearing shorts!

The evenings have got darker a lot earlier too, and so we're embracing the concept the Scandinavian concept of 'hygge' and cosying up under blankets, candles everywhere and the occasional open fire.  By 7.30pm the lamps are on, and once the kids are in bed, we sit and watch the skies change and are  stilling treated to some amazing sunsets.

Sunset over Denmark

And although I was hopeful to extend my summer wardrobe a bit longer, my single vein has noticed the dip in temperature and I have now taken to wearing my hat a little bit, mostly for evening strolls (plus the occasional bad hair moment!), but I am resolutely still Not Wearing my Gloves.
Maisie and me

Am hoping to make it to October before that happens!




















No comments:

Post a Comment