Sunday 14 September 2014

Booking a bloody flight!

I apologise I've been drinking gin.  I have been driven to it by tonight's flight booking shenanigans.

We're going out in October, as it stands Jim and Maisie are going earlier than me and Ned. Our flights home have already been booked, along with their outward flights.  I needed to work out how much holiday I have before booking anything.

Went to book flights.

Lots of decisions required. Not least how Ned and I are going to actually get to London, as we don't want to have both the car and van there, and since I'm absolutely paranoid about someone pinching my bag on the train, I've ruled it out.

So brainwave today - fly with Flybe from Exeter (nearest airport) to Gatwick. gatwick to Trondheim, depending on flight arrival time, Jim might collect us, or we stay in a hotel.

Flybe don't go to Gatwick from Exeter, they go to London City. Transferring with bags and a small boy not ideal. So require plan B.

Plan B. Fly from Newquay to Gatwick. Requires taxi service courtesy of my mum, arrive late in Trondheim, hotel stay with Ned. Works out to be quite expensive. Plan C now required.

Plan C. Coach to Gatwick.  Not bloody likely - it takes 7 1/2 hrs. I would be stir crazy. Plan D now needed.

Plan D. Train (sob) to Gatwick, fly to Trondheim, arrive early evening (yay), Jim collects and drives us home. Not really sold on this one.

Plan E. Train to Gatwick. Flight to Oslo. Train to Røros. Ned would be happy, but we would spend a total of 9 hours on trains. I would go mad.

Plan F. Fly from a different airport.  Genius.

So plan F it is. Ned and I are flying from Heathrow with SAS to Trondheim, via Oslo. Train to Heathrow. Simple yes?

No!

I have to get the train to Paddington, then the Heathrow express to terminal 5, then get another train to terminal 2. Of course whilst I was trying to book the flights, Jim was trying to book the train tickets and only discovered this out mid way through booking, so we stopped booking to work out how easy it is to get from terminal 5 to 2, and if I wanted to do it, or should I just go back to the lovely Norwegian Airlines.

So the upshot is I'm now a bit drunk and no longer care. Oh and I've missed Great British Bake Off too.

Night night x

No comments:

Post a Comment